Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now? How About Now?

Just like the Verizon wireless TV commercials, it is often hard for us to hear what others are trying to tell us. In Sean Covey's book, The 7 Habits for Highly Effective Teens, Habit 5, entitled "Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood", made me evaluate my own listening skills. Hanging my head in shame, I must admit that I am often guilty of turning half an ear to those trying to talk to me.

My listening deficiencies often leave assignments as knotty as many of Einstein's formulas. As I read this chapter, I realized just how often I found myself using the poor listening skills noted by Covey. 

For example:

Spacing Out: I often find myself daydreaming in class, as many of us do. When I emerge from Dreamland, I often realize I have missed key points of a class lecture.

Pretend Listening: When I mumble "uh-huhs" and "sures" on the phone, I am pretend listening when really homework or the addictive Facebook has stolen my eye.

Advising: My sister, one I care so deeply for, often comes to me with her toils and troubles of the eighth grade. But rather than sympathize and try to remember where she is coming from, I force my own ideas and advice down her throat. I forget that she really needs me to just listen. She will figure out what is the best course for herself.

No comments: